A Noble Conjecture

I constantly torment myself with my burgeoning intelect...sometimes I wet my pants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gomorah, Sodom

I recognise my indulgence in alcohol is a cause of concern. I am equally distraught at my incorrigible insistence to partake in the celebration of my continued sluggish state brought upon by self inflicted and militaristic penchant for mindless mutilation. And you may go ahead and assume that God loves you more but He wants you to know that I am still his favourite.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dark

My cousin who graduated last year had been bumming around for the past 8 months is in town for a job interview. Finally. It's actually his first. I sent him over to the venue this morning and gave him some last minute standard field rules. By the look on his face, he was obviously quite nervous. I hope he ace it though.

I remember my very first proper job interview years ago. I remember being excited, nervous and hopeful mostly. I was jobless and broke - Waitaminute!!! I'm holding down a job and I'm still broke!!! - and bumming around for months wasn't really fun anymore. I didn't get the job but I did get past the second interview which I thought was an achievement by itself. There were a few job interviews after that and I learned the field rules quickly. No need for 'Interviews for Idiots' and all that shit.

The oddest thing anyone has asked me in a job interview was presented by the general manager of this x firm.

"How would you describe your sense of humor?" He asked, completely out of the blue, and stone-faced.

I didn't go with my first instinct - "Did you hear the one about the general manager of x firm?", because I didn't have a punch line. I thought for a second, trying to figure out what he was looking for.

Let's see...I'm a twenty-five, very smart and highly capable. My best friend from high school is making six figures, and he just bought his own home. I'm applying for a desk job at an open interview because I heard they're opening in town. On top of that, I'm actually nervous because I'm afraid I might not be qualified.

How would you describe my sense of humor, big guy?

I went with the truth and answered simply..."Dark".

I didn't get the job.

4 Comments:

Blogger bastard united said...

I can't seem to remember my first interview...
owh yeah, I do...I was drunk when I went in and smelt of booze...
but hell, they gave me the job...
A kitchen helper at A & W restaurant...I helped myself to loads of float root beer...slurrppsss...

Thursday, 26 April, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dark??...Honestly, bro. Dark?

Friday, 27 April, 2007  
Blogger Demented said...

bastard united : i did 7-11 for a whole year plus bartendering at this neat joint, jimmy deans over at lot 10, kl. mannnnn..that was fun.

Monday, 30 April, 2007  
Blogger Demented said...

mart j : yes bro, dark...very dark. i think.

Monday, 30 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home