A Noble Conjecture

I constantly torment myself with my burgeoning intelect...sometimes I wet my pants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gomorah, Sodom

I recognise my indulgence in alcohol is a cause of concern. I am equally distraught at my incorrigible insistence to partake in the celebration of my continued sluggish state brought upon by self inflicted and militaristic penchant for mindless mutilation. And you may go ahead and assume that God loves you more but He wants you to know that I am still his favourite.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Black Hole Sun

I went out for a smoke at the lobby area of my office building just now and was surprised it was crowded. And everyone was staring at the sun.

"The end is near", said one of the cleaner leaving the scene mumbling.

I looked up and lo and behold, there was a distinct ring around the sun. A complete ring. One smartly dressed guy said something about the summer solstice while yet another young smartly dressed fellow said it could be the recent incessant rain we just experienced the past week. "It doesn't normally rain this much in June. Never! This is a sign!", he said. The scene had enough end times sooth sayers to start a nation wide emergency.

I saw the photo shop man from down the street adjusting his SLR's and so I took my camera and started clicking. But the most depressing comment I heard has got to be from Pakcik Talib - 60 something, married three times and the building chief security guard. Sitting on his chair, puffing away on his ERA, he was oblivious to all the noise and chattering. He had a haunting anxiety about him today which was unusual.

I was standing near him and asked what he thought. He looked at the crowd and said, "That's the black hole". I nodded and finally lit my Marlboro.

Black hole or not, what we all just saw, my fellow country men and women, was just the sun halo. A fairly common sight occurring when high thin clouds containing millions of tiny ice crystals cover much of the sky. I learned that in science class when I was 12.

Oh, by the way. Happy Solstice everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Arth Akal said...

ah, I saw that on the Miri sky last month. But that was not the 1st time.

Friday, 22 June, 2007  
Blogger Demented said...

arth : kanid, check out the papers today and have a good laugh.

Saturday, 23 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was driving n all of a sudden sms(s) were coming in non stop so I pulled over and joined the crowd starring into the sun like the world's coming to and end.
it was beauuuutiful thou.
btw i called u the other weekend but for sm reason it dint get thru.
u'd betta call me before the nex weekend cuz im getting my arse back to the Amerika haha!

Sunday, 24 June, 2007  
Blogger Demented said...

irry : dont seem to have your new no. do text me.

Sunday, 24 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home