A Noble Conjecture

I constantly torment myself with my burgeoning intelect...sometimes I wet my pants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gomorah, Sodom

I recognise my indulgence in alcohol is a cause of concern. I am equally distraught at my incorrigible insistence to partake in the celebration of my continued sluggish state brought upon by self inflicted and militaristic penchant for mindless mutilation. And you may go ahead and assume that God loves you more but He wants you to know that I am still his favourite.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Of Kites And Suns

I just finished reading two wonderful books back to back - The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, both by Khaled Hosseini. Took me 5 weeks. I have only this to say - thought provoking, heart wrenching to the fucking max.

I'm generally not an emotional person. Even the passing of my great grand mother a couple of years ago didn't affect me that much. And I shared room with the old lady for a good part of my teens. The day John Denver crashed his Long-EZ bird and died doesn't count. I cried when my dad called to tell me the news. I like to think he's jamming up there with Moses and Elijah singing Take Me Home, Country Roads and shit. With good ol' Peter on cymbals.

But this two books made me...all teary and shit. It has been a long time since a book had emotionally got to me this much, I kid you not.

Now for the spoiler.

There's a lot of violence. Domestic abuse, misery, betrayal, suicide and like, everyone dies. A terrible, horrible death. Mangled bodies everywhere. Shit tubes exposed and shit. The hero, heroine, their parents, grandparents, brothers and sister, girlfriends, boyfriends, their sheep, dog's, a few Taliban and everything else. Obliterated. Blood everywhere. The mayor of Herat (don't know where Herat is? Go google it, bitch!) is impaled on a stake and six days later his corpse is fed to the dogs. And someone also gets butt fucked. By force.

Sad, no?

Look, if you haven't read these two books yet, you're an idiot of an elephantine proportion. So, go on. Get the books.

That is all.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Errrrr..are you sure you read the book because I don't quite remember 'lots of violence', 'blood everywhere', a terrible, 'horrible death', 'mangled bodies' with 'exposed shit tubes' notwithstanding. And everyone dies? I don't recall the mayor of Herat either.

Laila

Thursday, 09 October, 2008  
Blogger Demented said...

laila : errr...my mistake. damn, it. now i remember. i was reading the book of exodus and leviticus back to back. errr...thats from the bible.

errr...notwithstanding? i like.

Thursday, 09 October, 2008  
Blogger irryyyyy said...

I read those 2 books earlier this year. and yes I dont understand how those words in these books can bring about so much heartaching moments and bad bad mood. I even went crazy lookin for the movie Kite Runner at every single dvd store in kch haha. But again the book is so much betta.

Thursday, 09 October, 2008  
Blogger irryyyyy said...

me heart Khaled Hosseini.

Thursday, 09 October, 2008  
Blogger Demented said...

irry : the defining moment in the book was when the kid but fucked the other kid. me heart that.

Thursday, 09 October, 2008  
Blogger sour milk said...

you're not emotional normally? ARE YOU SURE??????

Thursday, 09 October, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've the Kite on my table at home but it's third in line on my reading list. Still on Gabriel Marquez at the moment.

Friday, 10 October, 2008  
Blogger Demented said...

sormilk : ok.ok.ok...so i am emotional then.

langkau : everyone dies, kanid. everyone. and unless everyone dies in love in the time of cholera im not reading that one.

Friday, 10 October, 2008  
Blogger CreativeBitchin said...

lend me a thousand splendid suns! my sister finally got round to reading the kite runner and teared up some, yesterday.

and i agree with jo. you are super emo. super duper uber emo alright.e

Monday, 13 October, 2008  
Blogger Demented said...

bitch : okeh. i am emo only when i think of john denver.

next beering session then. you can have the book. buzz me when you is good.

Tuesday, 14 October, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home