A Noble Conjecture

I constantly torment myself with my burgeoning intelect...sometimes I wet my pants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gomorah, Sodom

I recognise my indulgence in alcohol is a cause of concern. I am equally distraught at my incorrigible insistence to partake in the celebration of my continued sluggish state brought upon by self inflicted and militaristic penchant for mindless mutilation. And you may go ahead and assume that God loves you more but He wants you to know that I am still his favourite.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cheesy Again

I owe a certain beautiful woman a cheese cake (I fondly call her 'BITCH' simply because she is actually one...through and through).

And because I was moved by the sermon in church today, I was compelled to bake and make good my promise to her. Yes, this promise I made a year or so ago to be exact.

I baked this once too many times before and it is still my favourite but for the life of me I have not been able to get the right texture and consistencies. It either turned out to be over baked or hasn't got the right texture. You know what I mean...the ones that melt in your mouth kind. But I just love New York cheesecake.

And if you didn't know yet, cheesecakes by the way is not a cake, it is a custard. And baking them requires low heat and proper stirring, baking and timing. And if the steps are not done properly, your cheesecake will be marred with cracks or crevasses or you could end up with a sunken batter. And this happens all the time to me too BUT do not fret because cracks do not ruin the flavor of a cheesecake. You ask, why is it that the ones they do at the bakery are perfect but unless you have a big ass swanky oven with 7 dials to control the temperature and other 'magic' switches that probably will set you back 10 grand or more like what these bakeries have you wont get the same results. But nevermind that because I do not have a big ass swanky oven and this one turned out just as good. But even if your cheesecake gets some cracking and shit, do this - coat the top with fruits or you can just go over to your friendly neighbourhood bakery and get them to do the topping.

I get this question a lot from my group of old ladies friends and homemakers when we get together - Just how do you make a perfect cheesecake? I told them I haven't yet but I think exact baking temperature is vital and do not over beat the sugar and cream cheese. Think low speed. Its got to be light and fluffy until you get a smooth consistency. Beating too much air into the cheesecake may cause it to puff up during baking and then when it cools down it falls and this is the shit that creates the cracking. Cheesecakes require even heat to rise properly and it is for this reason that one must not open the oven door during the first 30 minutes of baking. And for heavens sakes, leave it in the oven after its done for at least 2 to 3 hours to cool before you transfer it in the fridge.

So, to begin....I used Graham Cookies today because you can never go wrong with this shit. Go to my cheesecake entry a few months back on how to go about the crust. Everything else is the same.

Filling :-

500gm cream cheese [Philadelphia ONLY]
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, if you want
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 table spoon vanilla
5 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream / yoghurt / fresh milk

Bake at say, 350 degrees for 15 mins and reduce to 250 degrees for the next 1 1/2 hour. Look through the glass window of your oven and if the sides are firm and the centre looks as if its a little wet and not done then thats a good sign that your cake is good. I read a lot of recipe books that allows the top to be golden yellow which means you'll get a hard consistency which is also good but you know New York cheesecakes should always be be soft and creamy. And the most important factor of them all...*drum rolls...

~And that it must melt in the mouth~

I will give it to her tomorow and I just hope she'll like it.

Bitch!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I asked you a couple of weeks ago "Can you make cheesecake?" and you said "Yes". Then I asked "Can you make one for me?" and you said "Yes...but you've got to give me RM70+ for the ingredients" How lah like this? Cannot lah.

Tuesday, 22 January, 2008  
Blogger Demented said...

langkau fiction : warrrghhahahah!!! okeh lah. i may be inspired again over the weekend.

Tuesday, 22 January, 2008  
Blogger Arth Akal said...

can you bake me a cheesecake, kanid?? heeheh....

Now, you have everyone asking ;)

Tuesday, 22 January, 2008  
Blogger Demented said...

arth : logistics kanid...logistics.

Wednesday, 23 January, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home