A Noble Conjecture

I constantly torment myself with my burgeoning intelect...sometimes I wet my pants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gomorah, Sodom

I recognise my indulgence in alcohol is a cause of concern. I am equally distraught at my incorrigible insistence to partake in the celebration of my continued sluggish state brought upon by self inflicted and militaristic penchant for mindless mutilation. And you may go ahead and assume that God loves you more but He wants you to know that I am still his favourite.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Feel Good Mode

Ahhhh...what a day it turned out to be.

Today was a good day. A busy day, an exhausting day, but a good day. Today I joined with a group of old friends and helped at the Cheshire Home. I used to help with charity work quite a lot way back when I was in high school and the Cheshire Home was one of my favourite. This is besides the Salvation Army Home and sometimes the local hospital that I used to visit. And then I went to college and became very busy.

Last week a friend who was from the same group from way back when I wasn't busy called and asked if I wanted to help out like old times. Said I was not going to be disappointed solely because he knew I would enjoy the Cheshire Home. He didn't give me much to work with except asking me to be at the place before 9:00am. And he didn't even give me a chance to tell him I wasn't able to make it at the specified time. He cheerfully said,"I'll see you at 9. Saturday" and hung up.

And so just before lunch today and about two hours late, I arrived at a familiar place and was greeted by my friend. Said we will do this about every 6 weeks, and today was our first go at it. And just like that I was a part of the team again.

I saw a few familiar faces. Teachers and helpers. Said my hello and then it was time to entertain the kids. I counted 25 special kids and my crew were already deep into the programme. I took over and did my thing - the guitar and some songs mostly. Some kids were grateful, some were chatty, others were subdued which was expected of a tough crowd such as it was. This goes for both the givers and the receivers.

It is a gift to be able to participate in something that reminds us how fortunate we are. At the end I was exhausted, hungry having not taken time to eat, but satiated with something much greater. For a few hours today, I felt I made a real difference. And I feel good.

It's the little things.

It's now 9:48pm, on a lovely Saturday night. I feel I should just continue feeling good by hitting the pub now.

Over to you, Hikaru.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home