A Noble Conjecture

I constantly torment myself with my burgeoning intelect...sometimes I wet my pants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gomorah, Sodom

I recognise my indulgence in alcohol is a cause of concern. I am equally distraught at my incorrigible insistence to partake in the celebration of my continued sluggish state brought upon by self inflicted and militaristic penchant for mindless mutilation. And you may go ahead and assume that God loves you more but He wants you to know that I am still his favourite.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

De-Lay

Maybe its just me. I don't know.

But I feel like the gods of all flying things may have a problem with me. On Thursday afternoon I was made yet again to wait for 3 hours before my goddam flight was finally good to fly. For the fifth time, on the same airline and at the same airport in three months.

So I took some time out - read several chapters of Kundera, nestled into a hard plastic chair in the cafe. The couple’s conversation at the next table was distracting. The girl’s voice anxious and shrill. It cuts into my scalp, my ears prick up involuntarily.

Their dialogue is broken, bad grammar. Her voice is halting as she reaches mentally for words. I try not to listen but my own childhood English draws me in, away from Kundera’s blissful, agonized voice.

Just at the point of despair, she starts up again in Cantonese. Her sentences become longer, more confident, emotional. It is as if a dam is burst, her emotions tumble out one after another in short, sensuous syllables. Their heads lean in towards each other. Drawn by an invisible string I can neither see nor understand.

I breathe a sigh of relief. I am not distracted by that which I do not know - I settle back into my ignorance comfortably.

But to stay at the table had begun to evolve into something bordering madness, a foible.

I drank my last drop of beer and headed to the toilet.

I took the longest crap ever. In an airport.

3 Comments:

Blogger bastard united said...

wow...that was informative...
the longest crap and in an airport. How did u manage to stay so long in there la kanid??

p/s : im reading ur post n commenting immediately as I am friggin bored in the office..

Saturday, 18 August, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't know if you realize it lah but your description of that couple is very Kunderaish lah...are you sure you did not confuse the fictional characters in the book (which one?) with the imaginary couple in an hallucinated reality at the airport? And coincidentally, such confusion between fictional characters in a book, imaginary beings and hallucinated reality would lead to..well..longest crap..ever..in an airport. There you go.

Monday, 20 August, 2007  
Blogger Demented said...

bastard united : a sumptuous dinner the night before plus lots of beer afterwards and heavy breakfast, kanid...shit happens.

langkau fiction : imortality, kanid. kundera does make the reader see and feel things. but the couple was real and so was my shit.

Monday, 20 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home