A Noble Conjecture

I constantly torment myself with my burgeoning intelect...sometimes I wet my pants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gomorah, Sodom

I recognise my indulgence in alcohol is a cause of concern. I am equally distraught at my incorrigible insistence to partake in the celebration of my continued sluggish state brought upon by self inflicted and militaristic penchant for mindless mutilation. And you may go ahead and assume that God loves you more but He wants you to know that I am still his favourite.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

His Addiction

I spent a little time today with a good friend. He's in the Intensive Care Unit and was admitted a few days ago due to an overdose of some substance. I got to know last night and drove over to the hospital only to be asked to leave because it was way past visiting hours. He's better now – the friend I’ve tried to understand. And still trying.

It hasn't always been easy for him.I have only known him for the past few months and we've talked over a lot of things, his substance dependency included. And over the few months that I have known him, I have watched him progress, fall, get up again, and then seemingly dig himself deeper into the downward spiral of addiction to substances and to a certain extent, maybe alcohol. Having grown to enjoy his company and understand him as I would a good friend, and watching his frustrated father throw his hands up in despair, I told myself that I would remain a true friend.

When not using substances or alcohol, this young man is intelligent, loving, caring, and selfless. But like anyone in his shoes, when the substances are added to his body he becomes a different person. Where people had laid trust and placed hopes there seemed to be nothing. So what was I, or anyone of his true friends to do as we watched him slowly fade? I talked about sobriety, checking into rehab centre or counseling, finding a safe place. Even going back to his hometown where his families are. He tried. But there is perhaps this resounding emptiness in him that needs to be filled. I've lived with his kind all through college and I learned what emptiness means. This emptiness is colder, very much colder. But there were periods when he would clean up, clear-minded, and begin to grasp a sense that he didn't have to live day to day as a dependant anymore.

His father said, worst were the days that he wouldn't hear from him at all, and he would begin to dread that call letting him know the worse had happened. Although the constant wear of desperate calls was stressful, the silent waiting and praying was far worse.

I've seen him sober. He is a better person when he is. For some, it takes only the threat of losing things that are important to us. For others, it takes stark reality giving us a kick in the butt to wake us up and truly motivate us to do what's best for ourselves. Does he have a guarantee to stay sober? His sobriety, his recovery is in his own hands - but it can't hurt anyone to have a hand to hold when the going gets rough...

For you my friend, hang in there. There are some of us who cares.

8 Comments:

Blogger sour milk said...

So that's why you go back to Sibu for? Where's HB now?

Friday, 13 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro, you haven't change!. You are still going all out to save the world. Now please tell me youre not still helping out at the Chesire Home.

Friday, 13 October, 2006  
Blogger Demented said...

sour milk : and who is HB? i don't know any HB. this person here is anybody and shall remain as such. a fragment of my imagination.

im in sibu on a business trip.

dix : yes, the chesire home, the blind centre, the salvation army etc etc. its a feel good thing, you know.

Saturday, 14 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to where this friend of yours been to. I've gone through worse shit imaginable. I don't know how bad it is for him but I am just thankful for the very very few friends who stood by me in my darkest times. They were two of them.

Saturday, 14 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If his problem is that bad, maybe you should talk him into rehab. A friend checked himself into this Christian run rehab centre in KL and he's doing ok. Its all voluntarily. You check in anytime you want and check out when you want to.

Monday, 16 October, 2006  
Blogger Demented said...

anon : i try to help. its a shame, really that a lot of people are judgemental. im just trying to help as a friend. thats all.

billy : thanks for the input.

Monday, 16 October, 2006  
Blogger Funkye said...

take care of him..and i hope he'll get well soon.

Tuesday, 17 October, 2006  
Blogger Demented said...

frank : the kid is doing fine. he's discharged now and is recuperating at home.

Tuesday, 17 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home