A Noble Conjecture

I constantly torment myself with my burgeoning intelect...sometimes I wet my pants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gomorah, Sodom

I recognise my indulgence in alcohol is a cause of concern. I am equally distraught at my incorrigible insistence to partake in the celebration of my continued sluggish state brought upon by self inflicted and militaristic penchant for mindless mutilation. And you may go ahead and assume that God loves you more but He wants you to know that I am still his favourite.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rafting

A few months ago, my kanid Kelvin enticed me into joining this river rafting programme which incidentally was to start at Kampung Danu, a village of which I've gotten very much acquainted with. Kanid Kelvin, who is no stranger to this sort of river mission had also organised two other raft participants. I didn't think twice at the offer and agreed. And so I put my John Hancock on the piece of paper relinquishing all liabilities against the organiser should I sustain any injuries, fatal or otherwise.

I was on my way to become a RAFTRONAUT.

In anticipation of my very first involvement at a river safari, I did absolutely nothing. Did not bother to find out what the course was like nor the obstacles that it offered. I knew my raft commander's well. Except for Majinko who hails from Kampung Sadir, the other two raft commanders have recorded numerous river missions. This is true in the case of 1st Raft Commander Robert from Kampung Danu. That was sufficient enough to boost my confidence that I will have to do absolutely nothing while on board our craft. As for yours truly, I don't remember the last time I actually held a paddle.

So early last Saturday morning, we drove to Kampung Sadir to pick 2nd Raft Commander Majinko. A couple from Holland we met at the Ruai a few nights before hopped along.

While at Majinko's village we did the obligatory langkau and introduced to our guest some of our more exotic food like smoked bearcat meat and the like. It was already late and having already consumed our langkau quota, we decided to leave for Kampung Danu but not before making another obligatory stop at this little cafe in Kampung Annah Rais - Sunshine Cafe - where we had frog legs and more bearcat meat with Bee Gees and Abba songs in the background.

The atmosphere at Kampung Danu that Saturday night was best described as fun. Stalls selling beer and langkau were set up near the village hall. Enough to get a whole village drunk in harmony. There was even a local band which played our favourite song - Madu, for at least 17 times that night. The dancing and drinking went on till late and I think I may have had too much to drink that night. Kanid Kelvin and I turned in at around 4:00am long after the generators were turned off and the familliar quietness and serene enveloped the village. Time check - T minus 4 hours before countdown.

And so at the ungodly hour of 7 in the morning, we struggled to the river bank where our craft waited for us. I was told there were at least 93 other crafts of various designs there that morning and while waiting for our turn to launch, we rested. I swear the very earth under which I laid seemed to move, to the accompaniment of a throbbing headache best measured on the richter scale.

Eventually our launch code 130 was called and we assumed our position. I suddenly felt a need for a cigarette and lit one. 2nd Raft Commander Majinko whispered to me and confessed that just like me, he had forgotten when he last held a paddle. I knew then it was going to be a long journey ahead. Minutes just before launch, 3rd Raft Commander Kelvin finally briefed us on our mission - [ Plan A - stopping at Kampung Semedang, half way into the journey and seacrh for more langkau]. There was no Plan B.

We were still very much in 'high spirits' when finally our motley crew of fine young raftronouts were cleared to go. Just in case we started hallucinating, 3rd Raft Commander Kelvin managed to sneak in a small bottle of langkau on board.

And then we were on our way into the unknown. An hour or so into the journey, with four or five raftcrafts passing us by, every inch of my delicate body started to cry out in pain. I just wanted to stop. Kampung Semedang then came into sight but 1st Raft Commander Robert declared that he was in a competative mood and demanded we continued on. And we did. Reluctantly.

We finally arrived at Kampung Git 3 hours and 26KM later. 45 minutes after the first raftcraft arrived which was, in my humble opinion, an achievement.

Yes, the whole paddling thing was gruesome and punishing to the body but the sights and scenery along the river was just simply breathtaking.

And as I type this entry, my body is still aching and I can't even sit properly. Ohhhhhh...the pain.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"45 minutes after the first raftcraft arrived"? It took the Sait group 1hr and 48mins to win the race. We? Three hours.

When we arrived, I was in a daze. Couldn't speak. Couldn't move. Couldn't anything. Rog was talking to me and I couldn't comprehend anything he or anyone around me said. Ohhhh...the pain...(reminds me of that Iron Maiden's Two Minutes to Midnight song "The glamour, the fortune, the paaaaaiiin")

Thursday, 25 October, 2007  
Blogger Demented said...

angkau fiction : 45 minutes after the first woman's team arrived, kanid. i know. makes it more painful.

Thursday, 25 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astronaut, cosmonaut, raftronaut? When will this end?

Thursday, 25 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the first woman's team arrived? Ooooh god...humiliation..embarassment...I can't take this anymore....

Friday, 26 October, 2007  
Blogger bastard united said...

well, seems like there is no activity that you will participate without consuming langkau...

Anyways, good sportsmanship, even tho u got beaten by a girls team..hahahaha

Friday, 26 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bastard United: It's a "women's team" not "girls team"

xihzj

Friday, 26 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hej David, my favourite Raftronaut!!
we had a great weekend with you guys, and we would like to thank you for taking us with you!!
we are back home now, normal life is starting again...bummer!!

bram & Harriƫt

Sunday, 25 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home